Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Did my first night ride tonight - my bike's been at the Bike Hutt, and Mike kindly offered to bring it back to me by way of meeting for a night ride. He lent me a light, like a pusher offering the first hit free, and we rode at Wainui with a regular Bike Hutt group. We rode down Labyrinth and Snails, a play on the super-steep firebreaks, then up Jungle Gym. Most of the group went off to ride Spoonhill, but I piked on that. I was running out of energy after not having enough to eat and starting to ride like a mong, and I find Spoonhill/491 tough enough in the light and dry, so at night, hungry and after some light rain I left it for another time.

There will be another time - I came home to find I'd sold my windtrainer on Trademe, so I can buy a light.

Night riding is cool. It took me a while to get used to the trees disappearing as they entered what would have been my peripheral vision, but after a while I adapted to the tunnel vision effect and managed to stop expecting to hit one. Next time I'll have some more afternoon tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment